In recent years, the Government of Alberta has cut and destabilized funding for public education, introduced wildly unpopular curriculum without input from experts, and encouraged the growth and expansion of charter schools that are not publicly accessible.
There is a better way. Together, we can build a road to a stronger, more resilient, and more equitable public education system for all Albertans.
- Invest in high-quality public schools for all Alberta students
- Rescind policies that support privatization and fragmentation of our education system
- Listen to the advice of educational experts to create a world-class curriculum
- Reduce class sizes and provide appropriate support for students with diverse learning needs
- Provide more mental health supports for students and families
Every child in Alberta deserves the right to access well-funded, high-quality public education that empowers them to reach their full potential. Schools must be staffed by well-trained teachers, school leaders, and other educational workers and support staff.
Public education must encourage children to become enthusiastic learners who succeed and thrive to their full potential so that as adults they may participate in democratic society as informed citizens. Education is an investment in society, one that allows for the improvement of outcomes for children, families, and communities. Building great schools for all Albertans requires strong commitment on the part of education stakeholders including the Government of Alberta and our elected Members of the Legislative Assembly.
Rather than continuing along a path of political hostility, undercutting, and privatization of our education system, we can choose to invest in the future of our province by providing a stronger and more equitable public education system for all Albertans.